Monday, March 28, 2016

Podcast provides 'uploads' of time, energy


   This latest podcast was probably the best one I’ve ever done.
   I say “the best” because I had a lot of fun doing it. Whether or not it sounds good to other ears, well, that’s another story.
   Before constructing my “professional” podcast, I listened to a few segments of “Detective,” featuring retired Colorado Springs, Colo., homicide detective Lt. Joe Kenda.
   Kenda has a wildly popular TV show on the Investigation Discovery network called “Homicide Hunter” in which the veteran detective, who solved nearly 400 homicide cases (92 percent) during his career at the base of the Rocky Mountains.
   I loved listening to the intro music and immediately knew I wanted to include that in my own presentation.
   But what should I choose? There are so many.
   I used the link provided in our class assignment to browse through a large collection of royalty-free music (that mean’s it free … and legal so you won’t get sued for copyright infringement). I settled upon a jazzy-type tune titled “Cool Vibes” because it had an NPR feel to it. While I wasn’t necessarily going for the NPR effect, I believe that’s what it turned out to be – and I am good with that.
   My interview with the local superintendent lasted more than one hour. I managed to record about 46 minutes of audio, so I had more than enough sound clips from which to choose. Unfortunately, in being careful what he was saying to me on the recorder, there were many long, awkward pauses and other stammering behaviors. Thanks to Audacity, I managed to edit most of them out, although I did leave a few because it sounded more natural to include them in certain places. To edit them out would have sounded unnatural.
   In all, I created 21 different sound clips and piece them together into one coherent interview that lasts about six minutes. It’s a little bit longer than what I was shooting for, but that’s OK because I feel the content is compelling enough to warrant that amount of time.
   The superintendent, Roger Mace, is discussing with me how his administration plans to cut $750,000 from next year’s budget, why four teachers and five aides are getting the proverbial axe, and what ways the district plans to save money faster than it loses it.
   Unfortunately, I didn’t get a chance to work on the editing portion of this assignment due to some issues at work and long hours covering for other staffers who were off on vacation and illness. Nevertheless, I needed to get it done and, well, better late than never.
   So feel free to listen to the clip below via audioBoom. I hope you enjoy, and please leave me some feedback. I’d love to hear your thoughts, criticisms, etc.


No comments:

Post a Comment